23 March 2009

Plans on hold

Well I passed my final placement of year one and then went on a well deserved break to Manchester. But when I returned I was informed of the sad news that my poor child minder had suffered a stroke and was now in hospital!

I have tried desperately to organise care for my children but without success. Therefore I have had to leave the course for a year and hope that there will be better child care in my area in March 2010.

So now I have a year of nothingness and as nice as being with my boys is, I can't help but feel disappointed. But, never one to procrastinate I have already gathered together a huge pile of books and nursing magazines. I also rang my nearest hospital and requested to speak to the volunteer manager (I didn't know a name or staff extension number). Once I was put through to the right person I explained my circumstances and said that, as my husband works 9-5 Monday to Fridays could I possibly volunteer as a healthcare assistant during weekends. The lady was very kind and said she would actually speak to the nursing bank to try and get me some paid work! Lets hope it pans out as I would love to keep my knowledge up to date and continue to build both my confidence and skills as I've been a student nurse for a whole year and feel I still have so much more to learn - perhaps more than can be fit into a three year course.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.